Spicy Pepperoni Gumbo
A perfectly seasoned true southern classic gets some Italian flair with a hearty measure of thickly sliced Margherita® pepperoni.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55-60 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into ¾ inch chunks
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup diced thickly sliced deli Margherita® Sandwich or Stick Pepperoni (2 ounces)*
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups hot cooked white or brown rice
- Combine the oil and flour in a large heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until flour is a deep golden brown color, about 8 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add chicken; sauté 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add tomatoes, broth, pepperoni, thyme and hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Ladle gumbo into shallow bowls; top with rice and parsley.