Orecchiette Pasta with Margherita® Genoa Salami
Thin-sliced strips of Genoa salami, roasted garlic, baby spinach and fresh basil create an orcchiette pasta dish that will have everyone saying Mangia!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup roasted cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound dry orecchiette pasta (2 cups) (Penne pasta can be substituted)
- 1/4 pound Margherita® Genoa salami, sliced thin, julienne style
- 2 or 3 sweet bell peppers, roasted, skinned, cored and cut into strips. (Store bought can be substituted).
- 1 cup (8 oz.) baby spinach, raw
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 2 to 3 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, fresh grated
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a small pot place 1/4 cup whole peeled garlic cloves. Cover with extra virgin olive oil and cook on low heat until garlic becomes soft and cooked through. Set aside to cool, retain olive oil.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook orecchiette pasta until al dente. Reserve approximately 1/4 cup of the pasta water to add to the end of step 3. Drain pasta and cool in cold water, then set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat garlic oil from roasted garlic. Add Margherita® Genoa salami and brown slightly. Add peppers, spinach, roasted garlic, and half of the toasted pine nuts and continue to cook untill spinach is wilted. Add cooked pasta and reserved pasta water, fresh basil and toss, continue to sauté until pasta is hot and ready to serve.
- Place pasta on plates or serving bowl, sprinkle with grated Romano cheese, black pepper and top with remaining pine nuts.