A fusion of Mediterranean flavors, this pocket sandwich is stuffed with specialty cheese, hot peppers, fresh herbs, piquant dressing and hearty Genoa or hard salami. Its easy to make and even easier to take with you.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 multi-grain or whole wheat pita pocket bread round
- 16 thin slices deli-sliced Margherita® Deli Genoa Salami or Hard Salami
- 2 cups packed sliced romaine lettuce
- ½ cup diced smoked Provolone or crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup chopped well drained bottled red and/or yellow roasted peppers
- 2 tablespoons sliced drained pepperoncini peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons Caesar or Italian salad dressing
- Cut pita rounds crosswise in half and open into pockets. Line each pita pocket with 4 slices salami (2 on each side).
- In a medium bowl, toss together lettuce, cheese, peppers, basil and dressing. Spoon the mixture into center of each pita half. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until serving.