Four Cheese Chicken Rollatini with Margherita® Salami
Parmesan, mozzarella, fontina and asiago cheeses baked in boneless chicken breast with Margherita genoa salami.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless & skinless chicken breast halves (pounded to a thickness if 1/4 inch)
- 12 slices Margherita® genoa salami (sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella (cut into small cubes)
- 1/4 pound fontina cheese (cubed)
- 1/4 pound asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup fresh garlic cloves, finely shaved
- Preheat oven to 400-425 degrees. Coat a cooking pan with 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Place chicken breasts on a flat surface and pound to a thickness of ¼ inch. Place two slices of genoa salami on each chicken breast half.
- Mix parmesan cheese, cubed mozzarella, cubed fontina and shaved asiago in a bowl with a table spoon of olive oil, and then spread over the salami. Roll up the chicken starting with the shorter end. Place a toothpick or skewer in two or three places to hold chicken together.
- Heat chicken in a pan with olive oil over medium heat until browned. Remove chicken and place on a baking sheet. Reserve brown bits in pan for gravy.
- Put remaining olive oil in cooking pan with butter, flour, 1 tablespoon basil and 1 tablespoon parsley. Wisk together until combined. Remove gravy from pan and set aside.
- Julienne the remaining 4 slices of salami, fry until crisp, remove and reserve fat in pan. Add mushrooms and garlic to pan, sauté then remove. Add to gravy mixture that was set aside.
- Drizzle remaining basil and parsley over chicken on baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked though. Spoon gravy on plate, slice chicken breasts into medallions and arrange on plate. Top with fried salami strips.